So things were going well and according to schedule up until this point. Until we hit our connecting airport, Charlotte, NC. As we had arrived at the Myrtle Beach airport it had dropped 10 degrees and had started to rain with forecasts calling for snow that night. If only the front had come through a day before they might have had a repeat of the marathon cancellation from snow 3 years ago.
There was a groundstop to air traffic at the airport delaying our departure. After arriving late in Phoenix and then to our hotel around 1am with the need to get up at 3 or 4 am to get to the race start, I decided to sleep in and start our drive to the Grand Canyon early for our short weekend there.
So that it what we did! Couldn't do much hiking due to my post marathon legs and lack of crampons/microspikes to deal with the ice on the upper part of the trails. But we could drive to either end of the Southern rim and got to show Hedgehog the park, as he had never been there before.